[plug] Installer

Dene Staples denehud at iprimus.com.au
Mon Feb 24 15:46:21 WST 2003

Hi All

I've just got a bit weary trying to get some programmes going in Linux,
mainly because of dependencies. Some, like Opera install themselves
nicely. A couple of critical programmes I wanted to use to stay away
from Windows I can't get working so I've gone off Linux just lately.
Felt to weary to deal with the nvidia driver problem that I had asked
about in another list to date.

Nothing new, I know.

Is there some installer standards committee working on this for Linux?
There are a couple different installer progs on Windows, I've noticed,
why not for Linux?

What if all  programmers have a bit in their progs which lists the
earliest (or only) dependencies they work with. The installer reads this
list and goes to linux depositories, downloads them AND installs them
along with the programme. For those not on the net, perhaps some
linux-based firm in the main population centres could have cd or dvd
collections to purchase at cost?

It would be handy if the installer also tells you where to go so you can
start the programme. Drakerpm tries, but what it says doesn't match the
KDE menu setup. One has to hunt the menus to see if it is there.
Otherwise, get the console up and type in the name and see if the progy
pops up. There is no offer to put an icon on the desktop.

It seems that a lot of people doing progs for linux assume that everyone
else loves fiddling with the dos commands in the console etc.

It is no use having marvellous applications if the ordinary end-user
can't install them. I think Linux would really take off if the ordinary
person could simply install progs as is now done in Windows.

Dene