[plug] Install tonight

J Michael Gilks gilksjm at iinet.net.au
Mon Feb 24 16:51:51 WST 2003

I have a box which I would like to make a firewall, router with DNS and DHCP.
Would it be possible to monopolise someone tonight for a while, so I can find
what needs to be installed and how to configure to make it secure.
I have tried looking up routing tables and IPchains etc but I just end up
confused.
I think I can set up the DNS and DHCP myself, found some good magazine
articles.
This box is an old Pentium133 with no bootable CDROM, so I would need to
borrow a boot floppy as well.
2 NIC's, one for ADSL using PPPOE and one to my personal network. If this
works I will add another NIC to connect a webserver and spare machines for
SETI at home and such.
I would like to install Debian, for ease of maintenance, and administer the
box using either SSH or webmin, according to advice I hope will be
forthcoming. This would also mean binding services to specific interfaces,
another thing I can get confused about.
If someone would help me get this running and secure I would be very
appreciative.
Love
Mike.