[plug] Install tonight

Quintin Lette quintin at arach.net.au
Mon Feb 24 22:09:35 WST 2003

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:53 pm, Mike Holland wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Daniel Pearson wrote:
> > I'd assume its so he can share the connection to his internal network?
>
> So why would you want two NICs for that?
> ie why have the ADSL modem on a separate ethernet?

Security (ie not subjecting your whole network to the entire internet)
NAT (so that all hosts can browse the internet)
so it actually works... (its pretty hard for an internal ip ie. 192.168.x.x to
speak to an internet ip ie 203.x.x.x without some form of routing ie NAT in
between) generally isps will only provide 1 internet routable ip address.

> > this
> >
> > > Folks,
> > > is there any reason for using two NICs here?
> > > Does it provide increased security with PPPoE ?

This is the wise thing to do.

Quintin