[plug] Install tonight

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Tue Feb 25 00:55:01 WST 2003

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Harry McNally wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:53:37 +0800 (WST) Mike Holland <myk at plug.linux.org.au> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Daniel Pearson wrote:
> >
> > > I'd assume its so he can share the connection to his internal network?
> >
> > So why would you want two NICs for that?
> > ie why have the ADSL modem on a separate ethernet?
>
> Mike [Gilks] is building a firewall to sit between the ADSL modem (which
> has an ethernet interface) and his internal LAN which means the second
> NIC on the firewall is going to a switch/hub connected to all his other
> computers.

I understand that, but cannot see why you need two physically separated
ethernets. Why cant the PPPoE packets travel over the same ethernet as
the IP packets? Ethernet allows multiple protocols to share the physical
layer, while remaining conceptually separate.
  Perhaps it is a limitation that the Linux PPPoE cannot share a NIC?

> Does your ADSL modem have USB or are you thinking of a serial 56K modem
> or something, Mike [Holland] ? You're getting me confused about why
> you're question :)

I'm just trying to understand networking a bit better. I use a
modem/router, so havn't had to worry about pppoe yet.