[plug] [link] Time to move to the US, methinks

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Tue Feb 25 08:57:03 WST 2003

Guess it's time to move back home and concentrate on another line of work.

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

>>> leon at brooks.fdns.net 8:42:50 AM 25/02/2003 >>>
There's gold in them thar emails!

    http://www.linxnet.com/misc/spam/mi_spamsuit.html

<quote>
Essentially, I argued that under the title code, my computer is also a fax
machine and that email is really no different from fax. My computer has a fax
modem, fax software, a scanner and a printer, I received this email using a
dial up phone line connection and printed the message. As such, it falls
under the law. The term ''telephone facsimile machine'' means equipment which
has the capacity (A) to transcribe text or images, or both, from paper into
an electronic signal and to transmit that signal over a regular telephone
line, or (B) to transcribe text or images (or both) from an electronic signal
received over a regular telephone line onto paper.

It shall be unlawful for any person within the United States - . . . (C) to
use any telephone facsimile machine, computer, or other device to send an
unsolicited advertisement to a telephone facsimile machine; A person or
entity may, if otherwise permitted by the laws or rules of court of a State,
bring in an appropriate court of that State - (A) an action based on a
violation of this subsection or the regulations prescribed under this
subsection to enjoin such violation, (B) an action to recover for actual
monetary loss from such a violation, or to receive $500 in damages for each
such violation, whichever is greater, or (C) both such actions. If the court
finds that the defendant willfully or knowingly violated this subsection or
the regulations prescribed under this subsection, the court may, in its
discretion, increase the amount of the award to an amount equal to not more
than 3 times the amount available under subparagraph (B) of this paragraph.
</quote>

I note that it is illegal to do the sending from the US, no mention is made
regarding where the sending is _to_. (-:

One of these a working day is USD$2500 a week...roughly USD$120,000 a year...

Cheers; Leon