[plug] Install tonight

Rob Davies rob at rjdarts.com
Thu Feb 27 09:46:00 WST 2003

At   11:50 pm  Wednesday    26 02 03, you wrote:
>No luck with getting things working. Hardware problems and finding how to use
>iptables was too much.
>Had forgotten that Smoothwall did routing and DNS, so will give that another
>look.
>Version 2.0 is looking pretty good. All the nice kernel stuff in a neat
>package.

Sorry coming in a bit late, but just a security watch it, Smoothwall when
installed as per situation gateway/firewall/router relays information back
to its UK subsidiary from your machine, they do inform you of this in there
documentation.

This I noticed in earlier version 0.99 or whatever it was, and in 2 it
seems to be using your said box as a beta tester for its commercial product
with relevant material being returned home??

Try IPcop if you want gateway/firewall/router while utilising the doorstop
that was retired many moons ago, 1.2 seems very stable, reliable and
secure. Yes earlier versions were based on Smoothwall, but seems to be
leaving the fold.

Also being linux based as per Smoothwall you can do your own personalising
if you must, I use it for it's simplicity 10 mins max I have a ISDN based
gateway/firewall/router utilising retired doorstops with mods.

ciao

Rob Davies
rob at rjdarts.com
ICQ:10432219

' To converse, is one scenario that separates us, from the Apes.'