[plug] [kim at linmagau.org: Launch advertising :)]

Kimberly Shelt kim at linmagau.org
Fri Feb 28 10:39:20 WST 2003

Apologies if you get two of these in your mailboxes..
Sent to linmag list and here only.

Where I have managed to get a plug for PLUG :)
I try to let you all know.

Below article by Victoria Lea - Itjourno.com.au.

Thanks
Kim

----- Forwarded message from Kimberly Shelt <kim at linmagau.org> -----

Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:35:53 -0800
From: Kimberly Shelt <kim at linmagau.org>
To: linmag at plug.linux.org.au
Subject: Launch advertising :)

Hi all,

Just a quick update.. things are running well with the site..
Lots of page views 400plus since midnight, almost at the 100
mark with members .)

Advertising in SMH/The Age, various small links across the web..
and today the following article in the members section of
www.itjourno.com.au.. basically a site for Australian (and some
international) IT Media folks :)

BEGIN ARTICLE:
Linux magazine launched midnight last night
By Victoria Lea

An online magazine for Australian Linux users, Linmag,
launched midnight last night and will aim for a hard
copy version within six months.

Issue one of the magazine, at www.linmagau.org,
covers the recent Linux conference, with future
editions covering the broad spectrum of the local
Linux community, from child Linux users to a section
called Linux Chicks, focusing on women in IT.

Linmag creator and editor Kimberly Shelt said the
aim of the magazine is to provide local content for local users.

Echoing the open-source platform itself, the web site,
built on a standard phpnuke base, was formed in open
collaboration with readers, and will continue to
seek reader input and content now the magazine is live.

"Suggestions, feedback and offers of random writings
are always welcome and will be acted upon," said Shelt.

While aware that many an online project has started
with a bang and petered out within a year, Shelt is
hopeful that won't happen to her.

"I'd like to hope we can make it to hard
copy before six months," she said.

The project began late last year when Shelt joined
the Perth Linux Users Group and members were talking
up the lack of local content on Linux.

"They were young and inspired and they wanted a glossy magazine," said Shelt.

"I was like, okay, I'll build the site.
We'll build it and if they come, we'll do a hard copy."

So far, the key team working on the project remains at
three to four, but Shelt said she was more than happy to
open the doors to freelance contributors. While at
this stage she couldn't pay, she didn't rule that
option out for the future.
END ARTICLE:

----- End forwarded message -----