[plug] auto-increment in mysql

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jan 1 22:25:10 WST 2003

> But "there can be only one"... primary key per table (hence the name
> 'primary', and thus there can be only one auto_increment)

What's surprising is that AUTO_INCREMENT must be on a primary key only.

<troll> of course, postgresql is already in woody.... </troll>
Seriously, this is where mysql 3.x runs into problems - if you want to
do anything more than the basics.  The only thing I haven't got
postgresql to do yet is the FULLTEXT INDEX function of MySQL.

You may wish to consider postgresql as an alternative to using mysql for
your web-based database. There really isn't a downside, and posgresql is
a far more full-featured database.

Craig