[plug] auto-increment in mysql

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jan 1 23:51:50 WST 2003

At 10:36 PM 01-01-2003 +0800, you wrote:
>Arie,
>Mind my ignorance - I'm just going off my somewhat limited knowledge from
>Information Systems (Year 12 TEE subject that I did extremely well in ;)
>which I have just completed in 2002. We briefly went over what indexes were,
>but never went into detail. Is it possible for you to explain them to me,
>and how they could be useful?
>
>Regards,
>Daniel Pearson

Indexes are 'unique' fields in a table - and cannot in any way be duplicated
(otherwise point less having an index) - thus to increase the efficiency it
is often better to have an auto-increment as an index in a table.

Think about it.

These indexes can often be used as components for compound/composite keys.

Although there are several schools of thought on all of the above.

Regards Arie