[plug] Final rant from me re Linux compatible printers.

Dave Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Thu Jan 2 12:13:05 WST 2003

Thanks to all who contributed advice, it was all helpful in the final
decision to go for a Canon S520.
Reasons for decision:
Following quotes from Harvey Norman $400, Arrow Computers ~$350 before
Xmas, Arrow have a current price of $319.
It has separate transparent unchipped ink tanks.
Research conducted by Tom's Hardware Guide (a bit old, - over 12 months)
indicated this printer by far the cheapest to run of the four major
manufacturers, using Canon cartridges.
New Reality in Queensland, advise these cartridges are the easiest of
all to refill and recommend this printer for that reason.
Under CUPS, the driver for Canon BJC-7100, CUPS+GIMP-print v4.2.2
appears to work perfectly at 600x600 dpi.

Regards, thanks to all who responded to my call for help, and a happy
and prosperous new year to all.

Dvae Dartnall