[plug] Network Analysing

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Thu Jan 2 14:27:31 WST 2003

Ettercap can do this, but I'm not sure if it'll work with a switch or not -
it does with a hub.

RichardM

                      "Daniel Pearson"
                      <plug at flashware.n        To:       <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
                      et>                      cc:
                                               Subject:  [plug] Network Analysing
                      02/01/2003 02:17
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

I'm just wondering, is it possible to view how many packets each machine on
a network is sending/receiving without traffic actually running through the
machine you're running the analysing software on (e.g. ethereal)?

What I mean by this for example, is - my machine is 192.168.0.4
The gateway is .0.1, the two other machines are .0.2 and .0.3.
Now, I want to see what .0.1 and .0.2 and .0.3. are sending/receiving
around
the network, and total bandwidth (i.e. number of bytes/kb/mb), by running
software on .0.4. Is this achievable?

Regards,
Daniel Pearson