[plug] Network Analysing

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Jan 2 14:43:54 WST 2003

On Thursday 02 January 2003 02:17 pm, Daniel Pearson wrote:
> What I mean by this for example, is - my machine is 192.168.0.4
> The gateway is .0.1, the two other machines are .0.2 and .0.3.
> Now, I want to see what .0.1 and .0.2 and .0.3. are sending/receiving
> around the network, and total bandwidth (i.e. number of bytes/kb/mb), by
> running software on .0.4. Is this achievable?

Yes, as long as the machines are not all plugged through a switch. If that's
the case, stick an extra hub on the gateway end of things for the duration
and plug your monitoring machine into that.

Tcpdump (for example) will capture packets in promiscuous mode so you don't
even have to have an IP which suits the network, or in theory not even an IP
address.

Cheers; Leon