[plug] Wanted: dirt cheap wireless LAN

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Jan 2 19:59:44 WST 2003

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 18:54:54 +0800 bob <bob at fots.org.au> wrote:

> http://ronja.jikos.cz/metropolis/

Someone at UCC had prepared artwork (possibly a slightly modified Ronja
circuit). IIRC I think it was Matt (not K the other Matt).

Stretching the memory back, I think he was going to feed fibre optics but
the principle is the same.

Problem is, you said the cheapest. If you _don't_ ignore your time to do
all the optics construction, a wireless card, Cantenna, and AP is cheapest.
Maybe two Cantennas to keep the rest of the world out of your bandwidth ??

Alternatively, a pair of radio modems like these:

http://www.elsist.net/WebSite/html/English/Hardware/Accessories/EnLpdRadioM.htm

I'm sure there are local companies that do these. Ah .. here they are ..

http://www.rfinnovations.com.au/radio_modems.htm

I've been to see them. They were in Malaga. I assume they still are.

If you are only going 120m then you will get a very high data rate from one
of their license free modems. I think you can adjust the RF power right down
for short hops.

In the end tho', WiFi bits are infinitly more recyclable into other projects.
But I speak with zero experience so you'd better ask Garry (HNY Mr B)

cu
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://linux.conf.au/		22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/