[plug] Wanted: dirt cheap wireless LAN

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Jan 2 20:38:34 WST 2003

On Thursday 02 January 2003 08:17 pm, bob wrote:
> Hows your collection of old EA mags? :) This could be what you want
> http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/kits/k130.html

Looks close!

> May need more than the 5 IR leds to get the distance though :).

I'd cure that with some cheap KMart maginfying glasses and a tube. I'd also
use a (very high efficiency) visible LED and suitable detector for ease of
fcous and alignment. $64 plus construction time is reasonable compared to the
costs of 2xPCI wireless cards, special cables, antennae and easy tapping. I'd
be suspicious of the data rates, though.

Cheers; Leon