[plug] Wanted: dirt cheap wireless LAN

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Fri Jan 3 08:55:37 WST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 16:53, Leon Brooks wrote:
> Looking to set up a wireless (and when I say wireless, I mean exactly that;
> optical or supersonic would be fine) link over maybe 120m LOS, bandwidth is
> almost irrelevent, anything better than a modem is fine, cost is a paramount

If bandwidth is irrelevant, what concern do you have for latency. I mean
a Boeing 747 filled with CDroms flying across the Pacific has great
bandwidth, but the latency is a killer.

On that note, given that you're only needing to travel 120m, you could
setup a catapult on both sides with a catching glove and shoot CDs
across the gap :-)

> consideration. If I can plug LEDs and phototransistors into an AUI, lens them
> and get 10Mb, great. Any suggestions?

You could of course spend money and just buy two 802.11 wireless
adapters for about a $100 each. The time you spend frigging around with
LEDs, pringle tins, etc. will cost more.

--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..

ITmaze   -   ABN: 56 178 057 063   -  ph: 04 1219 8888   -
onno at itmaze.com.au