[plug] imaging HD

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Fri Jan 3 12:03:30 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 03/01/2003 11:58 AM
-----

                      Cameron Patrick
                      <cameron at patrick.wa        To:       plug at plug.linux.org.au
                      ttle.id.au>                cc:
                                                 Subject:  Re: [plug] imaging HD
                      03/01/2003 11:29 AM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 10:42:39AM +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:

>| Now, I don't have access to a *nix* machine at work, but it goes
something
>| like this
>| tar cvfz / | tar xvfz   (but I strongly suggest you look thru the man
pages
>| to prevent the second hard drive from being tarred too, and being passed
>| thru to the extract side.)

>Try 'tar clf - / | tar xpf -'; the compression will just slow
>things down and the 'p' helps to preserve permissions and such.  'l'
>forces tar to stay in one file system, which means that /proc and such
>don't mess things up.

>CP.

;)  Yes, that's what I meant by suggesting he read the man pages. Also if
he compresses it, the pipe needn't be so big *vbg*. But you are right the z
option will just slow it down - habit, I guess. Knew there was an option to
force tar to stay in the filesystem, but forgot what it was - also forgot
about the 'p' option - thanks.

Cheers
RichardM