[plug] imaging HD

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Fri Jan 3 14:34:06 WST 2003

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Richard Meyer wrote:

> >Quick scenario: running a firewall/proxy on old temporary box with
> >smallish HD, changing out to fairly newish box with big HD. I simply want
> >to copy the contents of HD 1 over to HD 2, after creating larger
> >partitions on HD 2.
>
> >Will tomsrtbt, a cp command, and lilo command crack this for me?

Are you talking about physically putting the old HDD in the new machine,
rather than a network copy?  That sounds like a good way.

  One warning: clear the umask (umask 0) before the "cp -a" or it might
affect permissions. (I think it doesnt happen with newer versions.)

> No, a cp command is almost guaranteed to mess up hardlinks and /dev
> directory. I seem to remember someone advising the use of the tar command

How? I think thats a bit dated. The gnu version of cp (ie any Linux) works
fine.  I've heard a lot of people say to use tar, but I think that applies
to the official Unix(tm) version of cp, not the gnu version.

  For a network copy, use "rsync -aH".  Who needs tar on Linux?

> run lilo - writing to new drive obviously (and equally obviously using the
> kernel on the new drive).

I'd suggest rebooting, with the new HDD as root before running LILO.
Otherwise it can be a bit fiddly.

--
    One seldom sees a monument to a committee.