[plug] AFS

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 4 23:37:57 WST 2003

On Saturday 04 January 2003 09:00, Peter J. Nicol wrote:
> >  With AFS it appears your files are local to your Linux box, Windows box
> > or AIX box. It really works and the scaling is awesome.
>
> It looks mainly like a nix thing, from what I can find out ... I was just
> looking recently at alternatives to Samba, and it seems like NFS support is
> sketchy on doze ...
>
> How is AFS with NT acl's?

It started out as an AIX thing. To the best of my knowledge the server side is
still only UNIX. Maybe a Win32 version of the server is available, but who'd
take it seriously? ;o)

There are clients for most platforms, including Win32. As far as I know,
Windows ACLs work over AFS. I never used the Windows client much. AIX ACLs
certainly work.

--
Australian Linux Technical Conference 2003: http://www.linux.conf.au/

Explain to your boss the benefits of you going...