[plug] Stressing a disk

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Thu Jan 9 10:16:31 WST 2003

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Derek Fountain wrote:

> Is there a way to stress test a disk? I've got one which is behaving a bit
> strangely. No bad sectors reported, but reiserfs gags when it's used as part
> of a logical volume, and over night it appears to have lost it's partition
> table.
>
> I feel it deserves a 24 hour workout before I chuck it away. Any utils to do
> that sort of thing?

Make two partitions of the same size and do:

while true ; do
	dd if=/dev/hdN1 of=/dev/hdN2
	dd if=/dev/hdN2 of=/dev/hdN1
	md5sum /dev/hdN[12]
done

where N is the approriate letter.  I have no idea how stressfull that is on a
disk?  It looks bad tho.

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!