[plug] Stressing a disk

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Jan 9 11:31:10 WST 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 11:24:11AM +0800, Harry McNally wrote:

| Is this evil[er] ?

Most certainly...

| # Disclaimer. "Do _NOT_ do this on a live filesystem even if you are feeling
| a bit dim"
|
| while true ; do
|  	dd if=/dev/hdN1 of=/dev/hdN2 bs=512 &
| 	dd if=/dev/hdN2 of=/dev/hdN1 bs=512 &
| 	md5sum /dev/hdN[12]
| done

Um, won't the md5sums produced be meaningless, as they are computed at
the same time as the disk writes?  Plus you could end up with several
dd's running after a few iterations if they take longer to complete than
the md5sum.  I'd not want to try it even on a disc without a live
filesystem :)

Cameron.