[plug] Read write access to Win2K disks

Quintin Lette quintin at arach.net.au
Thu Jan 9 15:22:19 WST 2003

As root a command like this should suffice
mount -t smbfs -o
"username=user_name_with_rw,password=(willrequest_if_not_specified)
//host/share /mount/point

obviously the share must allow read write access and the user must be allowed
read write access (I frequently do this, also using SuSE 8.1)

Regards

Quintin

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 03:08 pm, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Derek Fountain wrote:
> > I have some data on a Win2K machine. I've set the directory up as a share
> > and I can mount it on SuSE8.1 using smbmount. It seems to mount
> > read-only. How can I tell that for sure, and how can I mount it
> > read/write? Adding ",rw" to the -o parameter string doesn't make any
> > difference.
>
> I don't think there is write support for NTFS in a 2.4 series kernel.
>
> Could be wrong tho.

I am ofcourse assuming you are trying to get this over the network ie SMB
NTFS write support is experimental in 2.4 (read expect massive filesystem
corruption)