[plug] Read write access to Win2K disks

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 9 16:28:33 WST 2003

On Thursday 09 January 2003 07:22, Quintin Lette wrote:
> As root a command like this should suffice
> mount -t smbfs -o
> "username=user_name_with_rw,password=(willrequest_if_not_specified)
> //host/share /mount/point
>
> obviously the share must allow read write access and the user must be
> allowed read write access (I frequently do this, also using SuSE 8.1)

Turns out you need to specify a uid= and a gid= of a user:group who make the
changes. Without these, the above, which I had, mount read only.

On a related issue, if I put the line is fstab, can I mix Linux-ish things,
like user,noauto with the samba-ish things like username=derek and expect
them to work correctly?