[plug] Stressing a disk

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jan 9 21:32:20 WST 2003

Hello Derek,

At 03:14 AM 09-01-2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Is there a way to stress test a disk? I've got one which is behaving a bit
>strangely. No bad sectors reported, but reiserfs gags when it's used as part
>of a logical volume, and over night it appears to have lost it's partition
>table.
>
>I feel it deserves a 24 hour workout before I chuck it away. Any utils to do
>that sort of thing?

1 - Check your BIOS settings - ie: - 'write behind' cacheing.

2 - Check with HDD manufacturer to see if there is a firmware revision
available for your HDD, if so apply it.

3 - Use manufacturer disk tools to analyse drive - possible that track 0 is
bad - may be able to recover with 'low-level' format - watch out for 'BAD
sectors' - and take care to move or backup all data from drive.

Regards Arie