[plug] kernel compilations, hollywood+

Michael Collard quadfour at iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 10 13:03:41 WST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 11:49, John Knight wrote:
> I'm having a bit of touble getting my Videologic DVD Decoder card to work,
> it requires l2C (or I2C, I'm not sure) bit-banging support. This requires a
> kernel compilation, or a module (I'm assuming with the module). Now a person
> who wrote a howto for his SuSE box said:
> (visit http://www.suse.de/us/private/support/howto/mpeg/ to get there)
>

> <quote>
> Following the installation of SuSE Linux 7.2 with Kernel 2.4.4 the kernel
> needs to be recompiled. At this stage the i2c module should also be
> compiled.
>
> Those who are not keen on compiling kernels can also take an easier route:
>

> Install the package containing the kernel sources.
>

> Configure the kernel. The configuration of the kernel installed by SuSE is
> contained in the file /boot/vmlinuz.config. The file is simply copied to
> /usr/src/linux-<version>.SuSE/.config. Then go to the directory
> /usr/src/linux-<version>.SuSE and enter the command make oldconfig - that's
> it.
> Alternatively, you can use the following option with SuSE systems:
> With the SuSE kernel, the configuration is located in /proc/config.gz.
> Simply switch to the directory /usr/src/linux-<version>.SuSE/ and enter make
> cloneconfig in order to copy the current kernel into the local configuration
> file.
>
> Once this initial step is completed, you can download the kernel module
> em8300 Version 0.7 from [1]. Use the included scripts for compiling and
> installation. You can also load (as root) the kernel modules with one of the
> packet's scripts. In addition, you must create the following devices......
> (it goes on)
> </quote>
>

> What's this bloke trying to achieve here, and how does this work? Can I use
> the same method on my RH 7.3 box?

He is installing modules for use of this card. I didn't bother to have a
look at the URL you mentioned, but I would suggest subjectively
following his advice regarding the modules. I doubt you have to
recompile your kernel, so to verify, get to a shell and as root do a
modprobe i2c-core -a. If it says module not found then you are in for
some work.

If you really need more help, I'll scour the page you mentioned and list
changes you need to make, things to download and compile etc.. It would
even make a good howto for my little database :P

--
Michael Collard <quadfour at iinet.net.au>