[plug] [OT] ish - LCA

Simon Scott sscott at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 14 14:50:58 WST 2003

----- Original Email -----
From: Leon Brooks <leon at brooks.fdns.net>
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
Date: 14-Jan-2003 14:53
Subject: Re: Re: [plug] [OT] ish - LCA

> On Tuesday 14 January 2003 01:56 pm, Simon Scott wrote:
> > How much can you *learn* in one of these seminars?
>
> As measured in...?

Garbblats ofcourse - the universal unit of learning, approximately equal to
one O'Reilly book.

> > What proportion of the
> > seminars is actually going to be useful to you considering your (compared
> > to the massive breadth of topics presented) relatively limited skillset?
>
> You learn stuff that isn't in the precis, you get to ask your own questions
in
> person - not buried with seventy others on a list or chat channel, you get

yet somehow buried under 70 other geeks in the same room :)

> exposure to peers as well as gurus (AKA `networking'), you may get a dinner,

'networking' is an evil concept :) maybe I should hire some hookers, buy some
cocaine and really get on ACs good side :)

> you get to learn some of what you need to know to do your own presentation,

as if anyone would listen!?!?

> you get to demystify some of those names, both big and small. In some

I understand names. I have one myself.

> presentations, you get to laugh your R's off, too.

OK, question answered :)

> Leaning a bit more on that `networking' item, some of your fellow attendees

> will represent paying work for you, or solutions to your problems.

Not for me - linux is a hobby (mostly)

> > or is it going to check out some geek celebrities?
>
> That, too. And as I said in another post, the gaming mini-conf includes
cheap
> LAN party time. (-:

Unreal Tournament Tac Ops (AOT)??? :)

Now we're getting there :)

> > No, Im not a recent grad. Not at all :) I understand your point, but with
> > such a scattered set of topics, can anyone really derive much value from
> > them?
>
> You keep using that word `scattered' instead of the much more appropriate
word
> `eclectic'. Perhaps you should get out and about more.

Or perhaps LCA should run streams of related material like most other
conferences do :) Webdev stream, kernel geek stream, desktop user stream, unix
administrator stream etc. Or does that make things too easy? :)

Looking at the topics, in between all the TBAs, I couldnt derive a pattern at
all - attending the conference will therefore teach you to code a HTML kernel
module in PERL :) or something.

As I said, the miniconfs sound like a blast, pity I cant attend :(

> It's worth pointing out that for any other Linux conference you would lose
at
> least another two days in travel time on top of everything else you're
> bemoaning.

Assuming youd want to go :)

> >> I'll get the job you want.
>
> > errrm, so by your standard, the speakers will cover practically
everything
> > in the subject field? No, Ill answer the question because Ive read well
on
> > the topic and have experience in real-world situations....... I wont
parrot
> > dim memories of something AC *might* have said in his limited time :)
>
> If your memories of in-person 3D real-life real-time sensurround events are

> that bad, what hope have you of retaining much from a flat, static,
> monochrome book?

My books are in colour - I need the pictures :) Believe it or not, Im more
likely to remember Chapter 3 of 'Mapping the Commodore 64' than something AC
might say..... I need to prove it for myself before committing it to memory.

So, to summarise, its a cool and froody deal (go linux, go linux yay!), and
having structured learning and value for money are secondary to fragging AC in
AAquake :) right, got it :)

When do registrations close? I must organise to forget that date :)