[plug] flipping postscript

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed Jan 15 10:40:18 WST 2003

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 10:12:02AM +0800, Russell Steicke wrote:
> (That's "flipping some postscript", rather than "flippin' postscript",
> like "flippin' 'eck!".)
>
> Can someone tell me how to flip a postscript page so that it appears
> reversed, ie a mirror image of the original.  I've mucked about with the
> options to pstops (from psutils), but haven't been able to make it
> happen.  Specifying -1 as a scale does the same as rotation by 180
> degrees.
>
> I could export it to a jpg or something and flip that with imagemagick
> or gimp, but I'd rather do it in postscript to avoid ending up with a
> bitmapped page and destroying the fonts.

Perhaps I've been working with PostScript too long, but my favourite
method would be:

ps2epsi the original file.

Follow the instructions at the bottom of
http://www.sunsite.ubc.ca/Resources/Graphics/import/merging.html
(starting "The Template File Itself")

using it to embed a single EPS file, preceding it with

595 0 translate % for portrait A4 paper, 595 pt = 21cm
-1 1 scale

The solution is practically guaranteed to work with any postscript
file, no matter what weirdness goes on inside.  If you need any more
pointers, just ask :)

HTH,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham -- bernard at blackham dot com dot au
  Alan, Rasmus, HPA, Bdale, Rusty, Tridge, Hemos and more...