[plug] Firewire causes system to freeze

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Jan 15 16:54:49 WST 2003

Hi all,

I'm running a Debian kernel 2.4.20-686 on an Intel 815 series
motherboard. I have an external firewire case with an 80Gb drive. The
case uses an Oxford Semiconducter Ltd / Wise Advanced Co., Ltd. chipset
and drives an 80Gb MAXTOR - L080J4.

When I transfer data to or from the drive, for no apparent reason at
all, my workstation will hang. There are no kernel messages, no log
entries, it just stops.

While I'd love to hear from someone who has solved this problem, I'm
much more likely to find some guidance in actually tracking down this
problem.

Which steps do I need to take to find out what is going on, so I can
then go about fixing it, because at the moment, I'd just feel like
throwing the whole kit and caboodle out the window!

Looking forward to some pointers...

--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..

ITmaze   -   ABN: 56 178 057 063   -  ph: 04 1219 8888   -
onno at itmaze.com.au