[plug] rsync peer to peer style?

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Thu Jan 16 08:14:46 WST 2003

James Devenish wrote:

> There is a hint of implication in your e-mail that the files could be
> modified on either of the machines, so you need a symmetrical method
> that was write privileges on both machines. But if you don't want

Actually, no. In this case, one of the machines has a known good copy.
It's for instances where you've transferred a large file by whatever
means (scp, ftp, p2p, CD, tape), and at the end of the day, the copy is
corrupt somehow. Rather than re-transferring the whole thing, I'm after
a way of just fixing the parts that are corrupt - which rsync will do.

> rsh/ssh or account knowledge -- how do you plan to authenticate
> the synchronisation task? Will you have one of the machines mounted

I know rsync can act as a server - but I've never looked into it in any
detail, and this is a little different in that:
   - I want the remote client to WRITE to the "server"
   - I want to be able to configure what is shared at runtime (ie; from
the command line, not from a config file)

I admit I have yet to read the rsync manual closely yet... ^_^;;

> on the other or not? What do you mean by "problems" -- differing
> contents, missing file, wrong internal file structure?

> Unison, <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/>, will do what you
> describe since it can listen on a TCP port and accept connections from
> all and sundry without the need for accounts on the destination host

Cool! Unison sounds like it's made to do what I want (amongst other
things...) I'll give it a shot...

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |