[plug] hdd problem

Darren dylnx at westnet.com.au
Thu Jan 16 08:45:08 WST 2003

 as suggested  i used spinrite to diagnose the drive and indicated a
problem with drive parameters .the bios was set to auto to detect the
drive as it always has been .there has never been a problem until now
,the drive is a dreaded ibm 30gb but was being reported as 640gb ? with
a lot of unrelated characters displayed when the drive was detected by
the bios .i changed the bios settings to the ones indicated by spinrite
and the drive seems to be back up and working fine ,ive never seen this
happen before all the systems ive played with are set to autodetect the
drives.id like to understand the fault any ideas what may have caused
this ? thanks

darren