[plug] LTSP

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jan 16 16:32:35 WST 2003

> I have maaged to get the bootrom floppy up and running and the WS tftps
> the kernel down (indicated by a whole lot of dots and a happy "done."
>
> At this point it all goes pair shaped and the pc reboots itself.
> anyone have any experience with this?

Nope. If it encounters an error like it can't mount the nfs server it
should panic, not reboot. Most likly the kernel is inadvertently
triggering a reset during early POST, say while looking at CPU registers
or somesuch. Make sure that (a) you're using a kernel optimised for 386,
486 or Pentium not MMX, P6/PPro, PIII, Athlon, etc and (b) it boots
linux fine off a CD-ROM or other media.

consider trying to write the ltsp kernel to a floppy and booting it that
way. If you get the same reset problem with that but not other kernels
then maybe the ltsp kernel is probing funny I/O ports or something, and
you might want to do a custom cut-down one.

Craig