[plug] internal modem device

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Fri Jan 17 12:11:10 WST 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 10:43:30AM +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:
> to send this email, let alone try google.  Also, I was curious as to how
> device order was determined- Is it influenced by irq , are plug in cards
> done after ports on the motherboard or what?

Unless you change things (see man setserial) device order is determined
by I/O address only.  Conventionally, the ports are:

              /dev/ttyS0 (COM1), port 0x3f8, irq 4
              /dev/ttyS1 (COM2), port 0x2f8, irq 3
              /dev/ttyS2 (COM3), port 0x3e8, irq 4
              /dev/ttyS3 (COM4), port 0x2e8, irq 3

(That was cut-n-pasted from the setserial man page.)  And, as Arie said,
these share interrupts 3 and 4, which can cause you grief.

The randomly selected fortune below is quite applicable here. :)

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
I've finally learned what "upward compatible" means.  It means we get to
keep all our old mistakes.
		-- Dennie van Tassel