[plug] Big new hdd in old pc

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Jan 17 15:30:37 WST 2003

On 17 Jan 2003, Tim Bowden wrote:

> Date: 17 Jan 2003 14:40:18 +0800
> From: Tim Bowden <bowden at iinet.net.au>
> To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
> Subject: [plug] Big new hdd in old pc
>
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to install a new seagate 80gb hdd in an old pc with an asus
> mb (440lx based) but the bios won't find it.  I have been advised that
> using an ide controller card probably would not solve the problem as it
> will still only see 40 gb or so.  Anyone had any experience with this?
>
> There are all sorts of windows utilities to support the large disks but
> am I going to have any luck with linux?  Is there any way of getting the
> drive going?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim Bowden

I suggest checking with the motherboard manufacturer.

My (newer) computer has an AIVG+ motherboard. We tried to put a 40GB HDD
in it, and it didn't work. Subsequent contact with the motherboard
manufacturer, resulted in the information that the motherboard did not
accept HDD's of 40GB and above. I have not received a response to the
query of the maximum capacity HDD that the motherboard would support,
but it has been running a 20GB HDD, and we will soon be getting an
additional 20GB HDD, to supplement the existing HDD, thus allowing for
rebuilding the system.

It was the BIOS that was the problem. On some motherboards, the BIOS can
be upgraded, to deal with larger capacity HDD's, but, not with this
motherboard.

Thus, in all the circumstances, it is worth checking with the
motherboard manufacturer.

It may be cheaper to buy a new box, to accept the larger capacity HDD
(new boxes, with HDD's are about $450), and then all the components are
covered by warranties, etc, depending on exactly what you want to do
with the HDD.

"is there any way of getting the drive going?" - I believe that you have
to plug it into an adequate system. :)

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Douglas Adams, 1988