[plug] Voice over IP

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Sat Jan 18 13:40:41 WST 2003

On Thursday 16 January 2003 23:06, Mike Holland wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Stephen Boak wrote:
> > Anybody using voice comms over IP, and if so, what works over 56k
>
> I tried it years ago, but the latency over dialup was too high to
> tolerate for long. We had to end each talk with "over".  Has this
> situation improved fordialup?

When I get something working, I'll let you know, but it should be
fine for audio only.

> > dialup (that only really runs at 32k)? I'm down in Nannup, so I'm
>
> You have mobile cover there, so that gives some options for cheap

Don't make me laugh! Mobiles only work < 5km from town! Even GSM
doesn't get to my place! Maybe next year...

> calls, such as the current "5 mins for 18c".
>   For overseas calls, calling cards are always best, so you just
> need a cheap call to the Perth access number. Its possible to get
> free mobile calls after 9pm.

Most won't accept calls from outside the metro area :-(

> Sorry thats all OT though. Search for H.323 on google/Linux.

Thanks for the pointers though, Time to google again...

Steve

BTW, EyeballChat works well on Windoze, and it's free!