[plug] Big new hdd in old pc

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jan 17 22:20:22 WST 2003

Hello Tim,

At 02:40 PM 17-01-2003 +0800, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I would like to install a new seagate 80gb hdd in an old pc with an asus
>mb (440lx based) but the bios won't find it.  I have been advised that
>using an ide controller card probably would not solve the problem as it
>will still only see 40 gb or so.  Anyone had any experience with this?
>
>There are all sorts of windows utilities to support the large disks but
>am I going to have any luck with linux?  Is there any way of getting the
>drive going?

What you need here is called a "hard drive overlay" a clever piece of
software that tells little lies to your BIOS and allows the system to
use/access the drive as if it was made for the system.

You should be able to get some more info from the manufacturer of the HDD,
the software utility must be used to  apply the overlay and also to remove it.

This was a common solution in the days of 386/486 PC's whenn  the large/ish
HDD's of the day started to get to big for the BIOS limitations of the older
PC's.

Try Google for 'drive overlay'.

HTH.

Regards Arie