[plug] Mandrake on the rocks?

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Sat Jan 18 00:00:02 WST 2003

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:28:54 +0000 (UTC)
sscott at iinet.net.au (Simon Scott) wrote:

> So are you telling me I cant sell SuSE CD-Rs?
>
> How does that fit with the GPL? I thought the GPL had a 'you cant add
> restrictions to distribution on top of the GPL' clause?

You can distribute GPL software together with proprietary software
though, and impose conditions on the proprietary software.  "Distribute
together with" does not mean "link with", which the GPL (but not LGPL)
does prohibit for proprietary software.  Even M$ Internet Explorer was
distributed together with a copy of GPL software, once upon a time,
complete with the licence itself (it was gzip).

--
JEREMY MALCOLM <Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au> Personal: http://www.malcolm.id.au
Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)