[plug] Big new hdd in old pc

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 18 15:21:32 WST 2003

> Tried that.  No matter what I set the parameters to,
> the post would stop at the ide detection routine
when
> it came to the hdd, even when the bios was told it
> wasn't there. Tried on hda, hdc, hdd with same
result
> each time.  Is this common bios behavior?  Happy to
> boot without the hdd no matter what I told it was in
> there though.

Have you tried deliberately setting that drive to
"None" (as opposed to the default "Auto")? With any
luck the BIOS should really ignore that device then.

(Trying to remember what I did for mine - it's my
gateway so I don't really want to turn it off + find
out :( )

Andrew

=====
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.
Language, be it English or something else, is the only tool flexible
enough to accomplish a sufficiently broad range of tasks.
                          -- Bill Garrett

- What's on at your local cinema?