[plug] lca- You should be here

Simon Scott sscott at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 22 07:57:40 WST 2003

> A lot depends on whether you wanted to attend a Linux technical conference
or
> a fan club and media circus, doesn't it?

Yeh, either way it doesnt add up :) <oof!>

Seriously, if guys want to go based on Linus being there, I think thats as
valid as wanting to go for any other reason. Are LCA trying to pick and choose
who their punters are and their motivation? If someone wants to pay hundreds
of dollars to see a geeky guy in shorts and sandals, good luck to them.

Actually, to be perfectly frank, Ive got no interest in Linus' technically -
itd be cool to chat with him about the larger topics of life, but thats only
because I think he's an interesting thinker (altho, his redhat lottery win has
reduced his viability as an interesting thinker a bit, anyone can be a life
expert with pure luck and a million dollars - and ofcourse 20/20 hindsight)
:).

I think youd be better off talking to AC or TT on linux technical stuff.

Or better still, some technical guys from the local area, with local
knowledge, with experience in deploying linux in local businesses. I mean, at
the end of the day, how many people are interested in the 'hard math' of linux
as opposed to its application as part of an overall solution? While I have a
vague understanding of filesystems and kernel modules and spinlocks etc, Im
much more interested in Linux as a tool.