[plug] XFree86 - ridiculous memory consumption

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Jan 23 09:17:11 WST 2003

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 10:37 pm, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> The culprit appears to be XFree86, which is using 200-400mb.
> Presumably this isn't normal behaviour. The machine is running
> XFree 4.2.1 with two nvidia cards using the standard 'nv' driver.

Depends on the card. I had a 16MB Banshee at one stage which "used 60MB of
RAM", and what was really happening was that the 16MB of card memory was
being mapped into RAM at three places to get access to it in 3 different
ways, so the process was using 12MB plus 3 images of the card. Something
similar may be happening to you. Normally, this would show up as the process
having a fairly fixed RAM size not much more than a multiple of the amount of
video memory available (normally 3x but some cards 1x, 2x or 4x).

If the RAM useage grows, suspect stuff like dud fonts, X plugins or helper
modules etc leaking RAM. Try disabling various options and not-loading helper
apps one at a time to see if that helps.

Cheers; Leon