[plug] pronunciation, was Re: RE Misinformation and blah blah ...

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Fri Jan 24 08:21:41 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 24/01/2003 08:18 AM
-----

                      Mike Holland
                      <myk at plug.linux.o        To:       plug at plug.linux.org.au
                      rg.au>                   cc:
                                               Subject:  [plug] pronunciation, was Re: RE Misinformation and blah blah ...
                      24/01/2003 08:05
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Richard Meyer wrote:

>> While you had him, you should have asked him to pronounce Linux in
English,
>> 'cause I still prefer lie-nux to linnix (same sound both "i"s).

>Too late now, he has a Californian accent. Fortunately a recording exists
>on one or two websites. eg

>http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/torvalds-says-linux.au

Is this a new one? There was a .wav going round the 'net at one stage where
the man said "Heloo, my name ees Leenoos Torvalds und I pronounce leenooks
as leenooks". And before anyone tells him that I'm making fun of his
accent, I freely admit that his English, even then, was streets ahead of my
Finnish or Swedish.

RichardM