[plug] cygwin tar errors at 'favorites' file

Daniel cottmain at plug.linux.org.au
Mon Jan 27 15:25:20 WST 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 11:41, Mike Holland wrote:
> Daniel,
> you might be better off using a native win32 tar program, one that
> understands NTFS semantics, for backups. Also, tar format is designed for
> Unix, so there will be attributes lost if you backup and restore this way.
> But if its just the file contents you need, then OK.
>
> > I have manually removed the url.
> > Is there a way to set it up so it doesn't need manual intervention?
>
> What intervention? Did it stop waiting for keyboard input?
                no it seemed to finish, but with errors ......

Thanks Mike.
A native win32 tar program sounds good:
I tried some compression programs initially and was unsure if they were
using 'tar' as a generic term for the operation or that it was
compatable with gnu tar. One required a reboot after use.

As to manual intervention I meant that the only way I could see to make
it go all the way through without an error was to remove or edit the
offending file.  This seems to happen to files with urls in them on
windoze as well.

Thanks for your input.
Any recommendations on native win32 tar programs would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Daniel.