[plug] LinuxChix (OT)

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 28 22:39:28 WST 2003

Hey up! Comments below. :)

Make lunch, not war.

>I have checked out LinuxChix which appears to be a US based
>(but with a couple of .au(Syd/Melb)chapters) fem network
>so I am considering starting a Perth/WA group ?

If you want, but it's probably a big responsibilty, hobby wise. I know that
KDE has a women split off form its page, as for what it's all about, I'm not
sure, I've not been.

>The whole "no women" in IT thing gets my blood pressure
>rising for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that
>to some extent it seems "localized" to Australia.
>(at least that has been my limited experience)
>
>What are we doing wrong.. apart from not getting girls aged 7
>into Linux.. (thanks Bdale) :)

Women aren't doing anything wrong, there's just a minority of wan... err,
pimpled nerds, that have a superiority complex going. Personally I find the
whole seperate page for women pointless, it's like black
entertainment/favouring on American television etc. It's segregation, if
white men were to start their own (politcally correct) movement, they'd be
booed out of house and home, so why not a a mens' page or one for
hermaphrodites? ;)

Either way, I'm not speaking too seriously here, but there's a lot of
pointless feminism in areas where it's not needed and is really unfair to
men in many ways. I'm opening uup a whole new can of worms here really, I'll
move on. ;) The IT industry I don't personally as being 'no women', although
I could be wrong, I am only 18 of course. You only have to look at Jaqueline
McNally (I always get her first name wrong, I hope it's right this time) and
Lucy Brooks to see how they advance in the IT area, these two dames garner
maximum respect from all of us.

If the "no women" idea has come form a lack of women in the IT industry, it
could simply be a matter of brain gender, hence women with typical female
brain traits may simply be not as interested, that's what happens at the
aviation course at Kent Street High School, there's not many girls simply
because there's not as many interested as boys. In the same sense, there's
an equal amount of tasks that the male brain simply wouldn't be interested
in either.

I've waffled on here A LOT, but I'm basically trying to say that most of us
have a deep amount of respect for women, the lack of women in IT is more up
to women in general, but women are becoming more and more interested
recently, and you'll see a large percentage of growth in the next decade. :)

John