[plug] mod_rewrite: Out of chickens!

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Jan 29 10:39:46 WST 2003

James Devenish wrote:

> But I'm guessing
> that if you move your mod_rewrite rules somewhere else, like into the
> enclosing <VirtualHost> or host block (or maybe even into an .htaccess
> file -- urgh), the rewriting will work as intended. If you refuse to do
> that,...any takers?

I don't think so. It seems if there's any overlap with the cgi-bin dir (or any
dir without Options FollowSymLinks or SymLinksIfOwnerMatch, it balks.

> Er, well, if mod_rewrite rules are forbidden because you have disallowed
> them, and you go and put a mod_rewrite rule in there (even one that
> nullifies other mod_rewrite rules), there may be a difference of
> opinion as to whether that's a bug or not.

Um, mod_rewrite rules aren't forbidden. Specifically, the error states that
"RewriteRule directive" is forbidden. So either the behaviour is wrong, or
they need to change their error message to actually state what's forbidden -
at the moment it's forbidding it with no RewriteRule directives in sight.

I've found a work-around for now (turning on RewriteEngine for just those
directories to remap - which is actually messier than my original approach,
but I now have it working at least, without clashing with the cgi-bin dir).

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |