[plug] kernel 2.5.59 for debian

Carl Gherardi C.Gherardi at curtin.edu.au
Thu Jan 30 09:26:20 WST 2003

Hey Garry,

> From: garry
>

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of a .deb package for the 2.5.59 kernel? Or
> a patch (better still) to allow correct operation of the kernel under the
> kernel package system?

I didn't find one (about a week ago) when I was looking, but I found it
pretty
easy to use bitkeeper to get the repository, and the build system is a lot
simpler
in 2.5. make install does the lot - including some autoconfiguration for
your
hardware(at least i think so... did a build and didn't need to switch any
hardware
of in the generated makefile)

> I've tried google, but haven't found one yet... I'd like to
> be able to use the make kernel-package tool, with the mkinitrd tool.
>
> Or is the 2.5 series kernel a bit too bleeding edge for debian?

There are a few issues, but i've been running 2.5 since 2.54 with minimal
problems.
The worst problem i've had is being unable to kill: dd if=/dev/fd0
of=floppy.img
when the floppy disk i was using was shot.

YMMV

Carl