[plug] xargs, "Argument list too long"

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jan 30 12:05:46 WST 2003

>I'm not aware of any systems that can offer
> to let you configure this in the style of ulimit (which is probably the
> feature that would relevant in the introduction of a non kernel-wide
> maximum).

I don't think it'd really be something you'd need to limit per-user or
per-process like ulimit allows. That'd add another overhead to each
process' info as well. I'd be more inclined to think a /proc or /sys
(??) interface might be the way to do it.

I run into this problem with mkisofs a lot, and its a real PITA since
you can't just mkisofs in 3 runs....

echo 128 > /proc/sys/max_arg_pages

would be really, really nice.

Craig