[plug] xargs, "Argument list too long"

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 30 12:31:05 WST 2003

> One of the few decent excuses for using C or C++ is low level operating
> system tools and kernels. Everybody else should probably go find a
> language that understands that you can't just write 200bytes to a
> 100byte string.

A rather sweeping and inaccurate statement. If I want a language to waste MIPS
wiping my butt for me, I choose one with such protections built in. But I
never loose sight of the fact it depends on the job.

I'm currently running a DVD rip, estimated time to completion another 29 hours
or so. I'm sure as hell glad that transcode isn't written in any of Perl,
Python, etc.