[plug] xargs, "Argument list too long"

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Thu Jan 30 12:51:25 WST 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Craig Ringer wrote:

> I don't think it'd really be something you'd need to limit per-user or
> per-process like ulimit allows. That'd add another overhead to each

Why have any limit, aside from the existing memory limit?

> I run into this problem with mkisofs a lot, and its a real PITA since
> you can't just mkisofs in 3 runs....

See "mkisofs -path-list <file>"
e.g.  "find <blah blah> | mkisofs -path-list - -o my.iso"

> echo 128 > /proc/sys/max_arg_pages
>
> would be really, really nice.

That'd be easy to implement, except maybe the race conditions.
Those last two words are scary.

--
 "I do not think we can hope for any better things now. We shall stick it out
to the end, but we are getting weaker, of course, and the end cannot be far.