[plug] default route problems

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 31 11:05:27 WST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 17:01, ryan at is.as.geeky.as wrote:
<snip>
> Trimmed from route:
> -------------------
> 172.x.x.x   *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
> default         172.x.x.x   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 ppp0
>
> Nothing on my box assignes an IP to the DSL etho interface that's what makes
> me wonder why you are trying to set it as if your modem is acting as a gateway
> when you said it is in bridged mode.
>
> So can turning off DHCP on the eth0 interface achieve anything?
>
> Ryan

I turned of dhcp for eth0 and did a 'service network restart' and ended
up with the same default route, but eth0 without an ip address.
*scratch head*, shutdown for the night.  Reboot this morning and all
works well.  Might have been set from the dlink, stored in an
environment variable exported by one of the /etc/sysconfig/* scripts and
not reset when the scripts were re run during the network restart.  If
so, perhaps this is a bug in the sysconfig scripts?

<rant>  the reason eth0 was set to dhcp client was so the dlink
(generation II, 300+) could be configured using the web management
interface it has.  It did not work.  I had to take the dlink to a win
box to make a http request from a browser (mozilla in this case).  I
could ping it when it was connected to my linux box, but that was all.
Why implement http to be platform dependant?????  This seems so stupid
and limiting.
</rant>

Thanks to all those who helped.  Much appreciated.

Tim Bowden