[plug] Dial back

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Fri Jan 31 12:34:55 WST 2003

There are a few steps:

- some way to trigger the dial-out.
You could probably use something like mgetty to watch your modem for the
"RING". Then tell it to run your script, instead of answering the call and
running login.

- run a script on the linux box - just call ppd with the right list of
options, including a short 'chat' script to dial out. See the man page and
assorted HOWTOs, examples.

- configure the remote windoze machine to accept incoming calls.

- Put either proxy servers, or NAT (IP masquerading) on the linux server
so the windoze box can reach the internet.

Thats about it.

> > As I said before when we tried this using wvdial with no extra info for

Forget wvdial. GUIs and wizards are OK for the common problems, but in
this case its easier to go down to the basic level - pppd.

> > So what I need now it some configuration for this sort of dial out pppd
> > The mobile dial back bit via sms is what I conceded but that's not
> > important at this time.

"conceded"?? huh?
Is it enough to hard-code the dial-out number, or do you want to specify
it on each call?
 You could use an old Nokia 5110 with data cable and gnokii to get SMSs.
 Or use DTMF recognition on a voice modem.

--
You ain't seen nothing yet.  - Miguel de Cervantes