[plug] AGM - change of office-bearers?

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Fri Jan 31 15:24:16 WST 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, quoth Bret Busby:

> > Prez: Matt Kemner
> > Vice: Jason Nicholls
> > Secy/Tres: Tony Breeds-Taurima
> > Comm: Daniel Beard, (resigned) James Bromberger
>
> Perhaps, it would be good for them, in addition to any new possible
> candidates, to state their feelings/intentions, regarding occupation of
> the positions. We know James' position (UK, I believe).

Having been the PLUG president for the past 3 (I think) years, I think
it's time for a change, so I will not be accepting nominations for that
position at the coming AGM.  I have a feeling that most of the current
committee members feel the same, but I won't speak for them.

> Also, PLUG has been fairly informal in the past, not worrying much about
> formal membership. Are you foreshadowing a change to that policy?

Indeed, the current committee has always seen PLUG as "informal"
Personally I've always seen PLUG as a bunch of people with similar
interests that help each other out via the mailing list etc.
The incorporation was only done out of necessity (for legal reasons) and
because we saw no need for funds we've only ever charged a minimum "token"
membership fee.

Perhaps the new committee has other ideas. I can't speak for them, esp.
considering I don't even know whom they will be :)

> What happened regarding money raised by the conference, in relation to
> PLUG, as the hosting PLUG? I had assumed that any expenses incurred by
> PLUG or any organisers, would have been reimbursed, from the income of
> the conference, and it had been suggested to me, by an attendee, that
> the hosting LUG should share in the profits, with Linux Australia.

PLUG did not spend any money on LCA as far as I know, and the tradition
has always been that the profits of each conference is put towards
planning the next one, so the balance will go to the LCA 2004 organising
committee in South Aust.

Regards,

 - Matt