[plug] Unstable for Debian

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Jan 31 18:42:30 WST 2003

> Honestly, I wouldn't.  unstable is now running libc6 2.3 -- upgrading to
> anything in unstable compiled against libc6 will require pulling the new
> libc6 and end up upgrading lots of your other packages to unstable.  Any
> packages that aren't upgraded may or may not break (the ones that are
> upgraded are even more likely to break  :)

Not just that, but Unstable is also transitioning to a new gcc and g++
version, resulting in an incompatable ABI change for C++ libraries.
They're also moving to GNOME 2 and KDE3, and changing a bunch of other
big stuff. Expect breakage.

I've even had problems with sarge when apt or dpkg corrupt the status
file. This never happened with woody when I was tracking that before
release.

Back up /var/lib/dpkg before you try anything from sarge or sid.

Craig